What's Lifestyle Got To Do With It?
It happens to everyone. That moment when you realise that it's time to do something about your weight. It may happen when you're looking in the mirror or standing on the scale. Your first thought is to go on a 'diet' but as quickly as that enters your mind the ghosts of a hundred diets past return...along with all the frustration. Then you wonder, why bother?
The weight will come back, as it always has. Then you'll be back in front of the mirror as discouraged as ever. The answer is not to go on another diet. The answer is to change your lifestyle. You've heard this before, and it makes sense, right? So why haven't you done it?
Your Lifestyle Obstacles. Most people resist changing their lifestyle for two reasons.
1. Change is scary. Whether you realise it or not, your life is in a constant state of change. Though you cling to the familiar, it's a futile struggle. Change always wins.
The most consistent thing in life is change. Since you'll never escape it, you might as well channel it. It's time to make the change in your life purposeful and positive.
2. Lifestyle misconception. How many times have you heard the term 'healthy lifestyle' only to picture a health nut with celery sticks in one hand and dumbbell in the other? The truth is that most people think that changing their lifestyle will be an extreme and unpleasant experience - and that's not true.
Improving your lifestyle does not mean swearing off chocolate or living in the gym. You don't have to eat celery for lunch and you can still enjoy a nice plate of pasta. The key is moderation. It's time to lose your 'all or nothing' mentality. Embrace simple, small changes that will add up to big improvements in your lifestyle.
What You Eat. Let's face it, most of the foods you eat aren't the healthiest. Some are downright terrible (the burger and chips you had last week). While others are simply excessive (the snacks you eat while watching TV).
The solution to cleaning up your daily diet is NOT to go back on a 'diet'. In fact, I never want you to go on a 'diet' again. (Yes, you heard me right!) Instead I want you to make permanent healthy changes to your eating habits that become unconscious habits.
Here are some practical examples...
- Choose salad over chips
- Don't add additional salt or butter to your food
- Eat fresh produce with every meal
- Reduce/eliminate processed foods
- Limit desserts to one or two per week
- Cut out mindless eating/snacking
- Drink water, not sugary soft drink
I don't expect you to eat a perfect diet every day of the week - that'd be ludicrous. You should, however, make MORE healthy choices every day than unhealthy ones.
What You Do. Good food choices and exercise is a huge component to a healthy lifestyle, and quite frankly you're not getting enough of it. How often does an entire week go by without you ever lacing up your trainers or having a nutritionally dense meal or snack?
Your new healthy lifestyle means making better food and activity choice on most days of the week. This may seem tough, but I can help you find the perfect solution – my Health and Weight Management Programme was created for busy people just like you. Click the link for more info and cost.
Your lifestyle is the balance of all the choices that you make regarding your body. Swing the balance in your favour - make most of your choices health conscious.